Once a Roman camp, and having a Norman castle, this city on England's northern
border had a stormy early history, suffering from numerous Scot's border raids.
Then in 1745 it was captured by Bonnie Prince Charlie during the Jacobite
Today Carlisle is a busy commercial centre, with interesting architecture
on English Street, Lowther Street and Victoria Place. The red sandstone cathedral
dates from 1130, and there is a market cross form 1682.
The castle was started by William II, then added to by David I of Scotland
when he captured it in the 12th century. Henry VIII extended it during his
A peaceful sandstone town, with a long history. The Romans had a fort here,
and in the old Roman quarry there are still inscriptions scratched by the
Roman workers. There are the ruins of a Norman church
Talkin Tarn, a few miles south is a Country Park with a 62 acre lake, sandy
bays and a nature trail
Bowness on Solway
Its claim to fame is that this is the site(not much remains) of the western
end of Hadrian's Wall. As the western portion of the wall from Gilsland (near
Haltwhistle) to Bowness was turf rather than stone, it has obviously not stood
the test of two thousand years of northern weather as well as the stone sections
to the east
The highest market town in England, Alston has views over the Pennines.
It is built on a steep slope, with cobbled streets and stone houses.
The countryside around is sloping fields surrounded by drystone walls
A pretty red sandstone village. The 15th century church has a Victorian
tower. The castle is now ruined, but was lived in for 500 years. And the seat
of the Fetherstonehaugh family is an outstanding building called The College
- prior to the family's acquisition of the site in 1613, it had been a home
for collegiate priests
Another sandstone Pennine village. Sometimes the wind is funnelled down
from Cross Fell at gale force, when there is scarcely a breath of wind a few
Traces of the Roman Road - the Maiden Way- can still be seen on the fells,
in places 20 feet wide, with traces of the original paving
Named after Mary Senhouse, wife of the local Lord of the Manor Colonel Senhouse,
who developed the port to ship coal from the local pits. Today the pits are
closed, and the docks are silting up.
But it is a fascinating spot, with narrow streets and a maze of walks around
the dock area and harbour walls
Best known today as the birthplace of William Wordsworth, Cockermouth is
one of the oldest towns in Cumbria. Apart from Wordsworth House, you can see
the ruined castle and dungeon, which was built in 1134.
Fletcher Christian, the Bounty mutineer, was born in 1764 at Moorland Close,
2 miles south of Cockermouth.