Drive 2 - Ullswater in Lake District
You cannot drive all the way round Ullswater, which makes the east shore more
- Start at Patterdale to Aira Force
- Patterdale is at the Ullswater end of the Kirkstone Pass road. The main
road then follows Ullswater, past Glenridding and Glencoyne to Aira Force.
The car park for the falls is just beside the main road, and it is a short
walk up to enjoy the beauty of the waterfall
- Aira Force to Pooley Bridge
- The road runs on from Aira Force, following the lake, though around Watermillock
it does move inland. Turn off the main road to get to Pooley Bridge, a bustling
little tourist town
- Pooley Bridge to Howtown
- To my mind the more pleasant shore of Ullswater. You get wonderful glimpses
of the lake as you drive to Howtown
- The Steamers come in to the pier here. You can take a round trip up the
lake and back, or walk one way to Patterdale and steamer back. If you are
thirsty there is a pub here too
- Howtown to Martindale
- The road past Howtown to Martindale is a dead end, but worth following.
Climb steeply to Martindale and look around there.
- You can go on to Sandwick, park the car and walk down to the lake.
Return back the way you came