Lanercost Priory

Lanercost Priory, Cumbria

Lanercost is near Brampton, Cumbria

Henry II founded the Priory in 1166, and it was completed by 1220. The Priory was then fully functioning until dissolved by Henry VIII in 1536

Some of the Priory builings were converted in a house (now Dacre Hall) by the new owner, Thomas Dacre

But the mani building fell into ruin. Then about 1740 the nave was restored as a parish church, which it is today

The church has many of the original features of the priory with a figure of Saint Mary Magdalene, the Patron Saint of the Priory, which was carved about 1270 standing on top of the west front

The parish church has many other interesting features, including three stained glass windows and a bronze relief designed by  Sir Edward Burne-Jones

English Heritage are resposible for the rest of the old priory, which has a number of things to look out for :-

Good hotels in Lake District & Cumbria  Lake District & Cumbria Hotels
cumbria lake district hotels
Lake District & Cumbria Calling Lake District & Cumbria information Lake District Cumbria information