4 miles south of Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria
Cumbria too has the inevitable Arthurian connection. Pendragon Castle is where legend Uthur Pendragon, Arthur's father, death.
This legend has Pendragon as King of Carlisle with his round table at Eamont Bridge
The present castle is of a later ilk, being built by Hugh de Morville in 1173. It then passed into the same ownership as Appleby and Brough Castles. Hence the Cliffords came to own it, and got a licence to crenelate in 1309. The then owner Robert de Clifford died at Bannockburn in 1314, and the castle passed to his son.
In 1341 the Scots burnt the castle, but it was rebuilt in 1360, and lived in by the Cliffords until a fire destroyed it in 1541
The redoubtable Lady Anne Clifford started a restoration in 1660 but died before her work was completed. The castle the lapsed into a ruin again
Pendragon is not open to the public, but can be seen from the road, and occupies a pivotal spot in the Mallerstang Valley between the River Eden and Wild Boar Fell
|Lake District & Cumbria Calling Lake District & Cumbria information|