Hutton-in-the-Forest House and Garden, Penrith, Cumbria
tel 017684 84449
historic house and garden, belonging to Lord Inglewood's family since 1605
house open Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays from 13.00 to 16.00
gardens open daily except Saturday
based on medieval pele tower with substantial additions in the 17th, 18th
and 19th centuries.
fine collections of furniture, tapestries, ceramics and portraits.
woodland walk with 59 named specimen trees.
walled garden dating from 1730
A brief history
Hutton-in-the-forest was originally built, as so many of these border houses,
as a defensive stronghold based on a pele tower with 17th, 18th and 19th century
additions. The owners are Lord and Lady Inglewood, and the medieval forest
that surrounds the house is Inglewood Forest - so the tie is strong, the family
have owned it since 1605
The gardens are a particular feature here, with the old walled garden providing
shelter for a variety of plants. There are also topiary terraces dating from
the 17th century and a woodland garden.
Hutton grows around 70% of its plants from seed, and you can learn a lot
about gardening here