Brief History of Levens Hall, Cumbria
The owner in 1688 was a Colonel Grahme, and he commissioned Monsieur Guillaume Beaumont to reconstruct the garden and park.
By 1694 the amazing topiary started to make Leavens a national reputation. Later, Colonel Grahme's daughter, the Countess of Suffolk and Berkshire,carried on her fathers work. The house and garden have subsequently passed down the family with few alterations to the present owner, Hal Bagot.
The topiary is of traditional yew, both golden and common, and with box scattered in between. Between the trees the flower beds add to the colour. The grey stone house with its square pele tower is a backdrop to the scene
Clipping is a major job here. They start on the beech hedge in mid August and is usually finish that by mid October. Clipping of the yew topiary and box then continues until Christmas. This is work has been further lengthened by the implementation of health and safety regulations.A staff of four gardeners is required, and they grow most of the bedding plants and maintain the many herbaceous borders and lawns.
|Lake District & Cumbria Calling Lake District & Cumbria information|