|National Trust houses and gardens. Click yellow buttons||National Trust land. Click green buttons|
The National Trust was formed in 1896 by Canon Hardwicke Rawnsley, Vicar of
Crosthwaite, Keswick, Miss Octavia Hill and Sir Robert Hunter.
It is now responsible for the conservation and management of about one quarter of the Lake District National Park. The total of about 50,000 HA in turn is about a quarter of the Trust's entire holding in England and Wales
They control 90 farms, almost all the central fells area, the major valley heads, six of the main lakes and much of their shorelines.
The left hand map above shows the houses and gardens that they owns in the county. Click the buttons for more details on individual properties
The right hand map shows the land that the trust protects. Click the buttons for more details on each area