Brougham Castle is just two miles outside Penrith, Cumbria.
There was originally a Roman fort on the site of the current Brougham Castle. The Norman family of Vipont built their castle on the old Roman site. The history of Brougham Castle mirrors that of Appleby Castle, with the same personae involved.
This castle too eventually passed to the Cliffords (it was the home of the 13th Baron Clifford, known as "the butcher" for fairly obvious reasons,from 1435 to 1461) and remained with the Cliffords until the death of Lady Anne Clifford, Countess of Pembroke, in 1676.
The castle has a lovely setting on the River Eamaont, and the ruins are open to the public, plus an exhibition of the history of the castle, the Cliffords and Roman arifacts from the original Roman fort
|Lake District & Cumbria Calling Lake District & Cumbria information|